BOTOX® in Dentistry
For most people who hear the word “BOTOX®”, they think of wrinkle-reducing injections used in cosmetic procedures. While it is true BOTOX® was approved by the FDA for such, it is now expanding in its application due to the nerve-blocking benefits it offers. In fact, your next trip to Bear Coast Dentistry could include your dentist offering BOTOX®. To learn more about how BOTOX works and background information please see our blog post here.
While some dentists do use BOTOX®for cosmetic procedures, there are many other uses for BOTOX® in dentistry.
- Treatment of Temporal Mandibular Joint Disorders (TMJ)
- Treatment of bruxism (teeth grinding) by targeting jaw muscles
- Treatment of Headaches and Migraine pain
- Reducing a “gummy smile” without surgical intervention
- Adjustment of lips before or after denture placement or oral surgeries.
Areas of your facial muscles commonly treated with BOTOX® include:
- Glabella/frown lines (between the eyebrows)
- Droopy lateral brow
- Horizontal forehead lines
- Crow’s feet (outer eye areas)
- Radial lip lines (smokers or water bottle lines)
- Jaw muscles – which reduces migraine and headache pain by targeting the muscles that are affected by bruxism and teeth clenching
How are BOTOX® and JUVÉDERM Different?
BOTOX® and JUVÉDERM target different areas of your face and enhance your skin in entirely different ways. While BOTOX® halts muscles from contracting, JUVÉDERM is a smooth filler that plumps the skin and rounds out the area around your mouth, replacing natural substances that diminish in facial skin as you age. JUVÉDERM is a gel that is injected directly into the areas around your mouth and nose, erasing smile lines and facial folds.
The JUVÉDERM procedure takes about 30 minutes. Our dentist will numb you entirely so that you are comfortable throughout your treatment. Following treatment, you will see immediate results, experience only minimal recovery time, and enjoy smoother skin for up to a year. JUVÉDERM may be used to:
- Smooth out smile lines (nasolabial folds)
- Lift downturned oral commissures (downward lines on the side of the lip that make you look sad)
- Plump the upper and lower lips after they have been thinned by age
- Marionette lines
- Fill black triangle spaces between teeth
It is safe to use BOTOX® and JUVÉDERM simultaneously, as the two treatments do not interact with one another. When you visit our practice, Dr. Jenny Liang will be happy to discuss either treatment or a combination of both with you. We want you to feel comfortable with your treatment and will happily discuss every aspect of the process prior to administering it.
For more information about BOTOX® and JUVÉDERM, and to schedule your consultation with our dentist, contact our practice today!